SPONSOR

Friday 20 January 2012

President Obama sings Al Green at Apollo Theater fundraiser (Video)


During a fundraising appearance at the legendary Apollo Theater in Harlem, NY on Thursday night, President Obama showed off his vocal talents, singing a little bit from Al Green’s 1972 hit, “Let’s Stay Together.” Adding to the fun was the fact that the Rev. Al Green was actually among the crowd of 1,400 supporters.

According to ABC News, Obama broke into the song shortly after taking the stage and thanking the hosts of the event and recognizing those who performed ahead of him, including Green. CBS News adds that India/Arie also performed.

“To know that Rev. Al Green was here!” Obama said looking off stage.

"I…I'm…soooo in love with you," Obama sang as the crowd began to applause and cheer, reports USA Today. Still, Obama admitted that he doesn’t quite have the same amount of talent as Green. "Don't worry, Rev, I cannot sing like you...but I just wanted to show my appreciation,” he joked.

He also pointed to people backstage, telling the audience that “These guys didn’t think I would do it, but I told them I was going to do it!”



President Obama had a whirlwind of fundraisers Thursday, attending four, including one at director Spike Lee’s home. Obama was also in Orlando at Disney World, reports The Miami Herald. There, he tried to promote tourism, saying that over 1 million jobs could be created in the US if the country expands its sector of the worldwide travel industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment